Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Scapegoat, by D. Du Maurier

This is another book I read as part of the Classics Challenge.  The only book I'd read by this author is Rebecca, so I wanted to try one of her other books.

A quick summary: John, an Englishman on vacation in France, runs into someone who looks exactly like him.  They have a few drinks together and the next morning, John realizes that the other man (Jean - not only do they look alike, they have similar names!) switched their clothes and belongings and left John there, basically stealing his identity and leaving John to pose as Jean.  So the rest of the book is about John trying to be Jean, figuring out who Jean is, and learning about his past.

I bought this book at a book sale almost a year ago, and it took me this long to read it partly because I wasn't too convinced about the premise.  Why would John simply accept the fact that someone else stole his identity?  Why would John feel like his only option was to pretend to be Jean?  But once I started reading, I was able to understand the character a lot more and why he would accept this.  I thought the author did a good job of making John a character you can identify with in many ways. 

I enjoyed this book very much! I will look up some other books by this author so I can read some more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment