Sunday, March 11, 2012

March Prompt - A Classics Challenge

It's time for the next prompt! This month, we have to answer questions related to setting.

The classic I read was Lady Susan, by Jane Austen, and there are multiple settings, because there are different places Lady Susan lives/visits throughout the book.  But I would say the main one would be her brother-in-law's house, where most of the action takes place, so I will focus on that one.

How do you envision it?
I pictured one of those big houses I've seen in Jane Austen movie adaptations.  Maybe something like this:



Do you feel the setting is right? or was it a weak point of the author?
I think the setting was right. I don't think it was described very well, but it is where most of the story took place, and I thought it worked.

If this particular setting was changed how would it affect the course of the story?
The story would change very much! While we learn about Lady Susan's actions while visiting other places, the main plot is about what happens when she comes to visit this place, and how her visit affects everyone there.

3 comments:

  1. I love Lady Susan, good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Lady Susan, the ultimate gold-digger and world's worst mother. She certainly makes herself at home in other people's houses, and knows the style to which she would like to be accustomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have described her better myself!

    ReplyDelete