Sunday, February 12, 2012

February Prompt - A Classics Challenge

This month, we have to talk about one of the characters we found interesting.  The latest classic I read was Excellent Women, by Barbara Pym, so I picked a character from this book.

I was intrigued by Everard Bone, even though I wouldn't consider him a main character.  I imagine Everard as a haughty, proud person who never smiles and is always looking down on you.  (I couldn't find a picture).

We're led to believe that Helena is in love with him (Helena is Mildred's new neighbor, and Mildred is the book's main character).  It's hard to answer some of the Challenge questions, because I feel we don't really know that much about Everard, but I'll do my best.

At first, I did not like him at all.  He seemed to me to be incredibly rude and haughty.  But then we start to learn a few things about him and I started to dislike him less.  I wouldn't say I ever completely liked him, but my opinion of him did improve a little bit as I read more.  That said, I don't think I would ever want to meet him.  I found him to be an interesting character mostly because I never knew what to expect from him.  Sometimes I had a certain idea about him and then learned it was actually the opposite.  So that made him interesting as a character, but I'm not so sure I would find him that interesting as an actual person.

2 comments:

  1. I've not come across this author. I do like the name of the character though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! There's another character called Rockingham Napier. I thought Rockingham Napier and Everard Bone were pretty interesting names.

    ReplyDelete