Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mini Reviews

An Edible History of Humanity, by T. Standage


This book talks about food and how it has affected and changed history and society.  While it certainly had some interesting facts, I didn't really enjoy reading this book.  It felt a bit too textbook-y to me, so while I read the first few chapters, I mostly just skimmed the rest.  I was supposed to read this for book club, but since I won't be able to make it to that book club meeting, I don't feel too guilty.  Like I said, it did talk about some interesting things, and maybe if I'd read it some other time when I was in the mood for something like this, I would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did.



 Cold Comfort Farm, the movie

Well, I watched the movie today.  The movie was pretty good, in the sense that it was very close to the book.  I'm glad I watched the movie so soon after reading the book, because I was able to recognize dialogue I had read in the book.  Most of the cast was pretty similar to the way I pictured those characters to look like. 

I really love watching a movie after having read the book.  It's great to visually see what you've imagined in your head.  Sometimes it's very different, but sometimes it turns out to be pretty similar.  I think it's also cool to see if they change things about the story, and if so, how.  Usually, when they do change things, I tend to think the book was better, but there have been a handful of cases where I thought the movie was better.





 Book I've started reading next: Surprised by Joy, by C.S. Lewis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment