Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cold Comfort Farm – by S. Gibbons


 A quick summary:  When Flora’s parents die, she decides to move in with some of her family at Cold Comfort Farm, where she decides to fix everything and everyone around her.

This book was okay.  I didn’t identify much with Flora at the beginning, but started to warm up to her somewhere around the second half of the book.  She reminded me a little bit of Emma, from Jane Austen’s book, because she was quite the meddler.  Unlike Emma, though, her meddling was successful and all the characters had some sort of happy ending.  There was something that was mentioned throughout the book which was not exactly resolved, and I thought that was a bit disappointing.  But other than that, the book was pretty enjoyable, with some funny parts here and there.  I saw that there is a movie starring Kate Beckinsale as Flora, and I’ll try to watch that sometime this week while the book is still fresh in my mind.

Book I’m reading next:  An Edible History of Humanity, by Tom Standage.  This is a nonfiction we’re reading for book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment