Saturday, January 21, 2012

When the Heart Waits – by S. Monk Kidd


I read The Secret Life of Bees a while ago, so I was familiar with Sue Monk Kidd’s writing.  But when I got this book as a gift I was surprised – I didn’t know she wrote books on spirituality and faith.  I started reading and definitely enjoyed her writing and the points that she made.

A quick summary:  In this book, the author talks about waiting in the spiritual sense.  She talks about how when we face those dark moments of questioning and wondering what the whole point of everything is, we should simply wait.  She compares this to the time a caterpillar spends waiting in a cocoon, which leads to the transformation into a butterfly. 

I liked this book (although sometimes it felt a bit slow).  Waiting is very hard.  But the point she makes is that when we wait, it’s not like nothing is happening – that waiting period can be a time of growth and transformation.  At one point, she compared it to the yeast in bread: as you wait for the yeast to make the bread rise, it doesn’t look like anything is happening, but in reality, something is happening. 

She also talked about the process of becoming our true selves and letting go of our false selves.  Waiting, or “cocooning,” is an important part of this process. 

I liked this book.  Like I said, I thought she made some great points.  She had good insights that would be helpful to anyone in the process of waiting.  I liked that she referenced books by authors I want to read, which has now made me more excited about reading those books (for example, books by Thomas Merton).

No comments:

Post a Comment