Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Classics Challenge January Prompt


As part of the Classics Challenge, I have started reading Walden, by Henry David Thoreau.  I just now discovered he was actually born David Henry Thoreau.


He was born July 12, 1817, and for a while lived on Walden Pond (below), where he built himself a little cabin.



Other books he wrote include:   
    Resistance to Civil Government, or Civil Disobedience (1849)
    Slavery in Massachusetts (1854)
    The Maine Woods (1864)
    A Yankee in Canada, with Anti-Slavery and Reform Papers (1866)

Interesting/random fact about Thoreau:  His father was a pencil maker, and for some years, Thoreau worked at his family’s pencil factory.

*Note:  Pictures and facts from Wikipedia.
   

10 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I love his beard?
    I'm looking forward to reading more about this book here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's a pretty serious beard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I wonder when and why he reversed his first and middle names. Interesting tidbit about him! I've never read Walden, though I plan to one of these years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walden pond is beautiful! I love his connection with the Alcott family too. I didn't know about his name switch either. Haven't read him yet but I will.

    Thank you for your post, reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through the Classics challenge. Interesting post. Funny about the name switch though. wonder what he was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to find when and why he decided to switch his names, but couldn't find anything. If I find out, I'll be sure to post it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be interested to hear what you think about Thoreau's philosophy...I've read some of Walden Pond but I think I'm getting it confused w/Emerson. Yes, that pond looks very New England-y!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just realized I've never seen a picture of Thoreau. I can't wait to hear what you think of Walden. I wasn't as taken away with it as I thought I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. While I did enjoy the book, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read him, but I plan to. :)
    Here's myClassics Challenge post on Anne Brontë

    ReplyDelete