Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Good Soldier - F. Madox Ford


A quick summary:  Edward Ashburnham is married to Leonora, but has several affairs, including an affair with the narrator’s wife, Florence.  The book is mostly about the Ashburnhams and their relationship with each other and with others.  

When I finished this book I didn’t really know what to think.  I liked it in the sense that it sucked you in – once I started reading I had difficulty putting the book down.  But somehow I didn’t like the story itself that much.  And it didn’t help that the narrator kept going back and forth in time, so I sometimes had difficulty remembering the order in which things happened.  Finally, I didn’t identify with any of the characters, not even the narrator.

Although I have mixed feelings about this book, I’m very glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment