Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Passage to India - by E.M. Forster


A quick summary: Mrs. Moore and Adela, two British ladies, go visit Mrs. Moore’s son in India.  Adela is supposed to marry him at some point.  There, Mrs. Moore meets Dr. Aziz, an Indian gentleman who invites her and Adela to go see some caves.  At one point when Mrs. Moore doesn’t feel well enough to keep walking, Adela and Dr. Aziz continue on their own, with the tour guide.  Adela accuses Dr. Aziz of making some inappropriate advances in the caves.  The book then continues to talk about the trial that follows.

I wanted to like this book because I really like E.M. Forster.  Sadly, I didn’t enjoy it very much.  The story just didn’t interest me at all.  In fact, I have to confess: there were some parts I skimmed over because I was so completely uninterested.  I feel terrible saying that.  I was so looking forward to enjoying this book.  It’s not that I hated it, it’s just that I was completely indifferent to it.  Maybe my expectations were too high…?

No comments:

Post a Comment