Monday, September 12, 2011

The Imperfectionists, by T. Rachman

A quick summary: A group of characters work in a newspaper in Rome. The book is a set of short stories, and each story focuses on a different character.

This was a good book.  I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it.  For some reason, I rarely enjoy short stories, so this may be why I didn’t love this book.  But I did enjoy a lot of the characters, and some of the plots.  Some stories, though, were a bit depressing for me. Depressing may be the wrong word, I think hopeless may be a better word.  Some stories left me with a feeling of hopelessness, not because they were bad but because to me the characters themselves were feeling this way and seemed to be in hopeless situations.  For example, in one story, a woman enters into and continues in a relationship with a somewhat younger man who clearly is just using her.  In another, one friend realizes his friend is not who he thought he was.  In others, people feel stuck in jobs they don’t like.  Most stories seemed to bring me down.

But it was a well-written, interesting book.  I liked that at the end, the author tells you what happened to each of the characters and what they went on to do after each of their short stories ended.  People who enjoy short stories will certainly enjoy The Imperfectionists.

No comments:

Post a Comment