Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Short Guide to a Happy Life, by A. Quindlen


Someone recommended this book a while ago, and because she had such great things to say, I decided to check it out.  This is more of an essay, in my opinion, than it is a book.  It’s a very, very quick read.  In this book/essay, the author basically encourages us to live life.  She says the only thing we, and only we, are ultimately responsible for is how we live our lives.

I agree.  I constantly pray that I may learn to live, really live, instead of just watching as things happen around me.  But I sometimes wonder what, exactly, that means and how you go about really living.  Maybe it’s just being grateful for the daily, small things in life – working, reading, cooking,…Maybe it means we should just go out and do, where it doesn’t necessarily matter what we’re doing or who we’re with (provided, of course, we’re not breaking laws or anything like that), just as long as we’re doing something and trying and learning new things.  Maybe it’s all those things together, and maybe it’s something that hasn’t ever even crossed my mind before.

Maybe living our lives means simply finding out what we’re supposed to do and what we sincerely long to do (the so-called desires of our hearts) and doing it, without worrying too much about others’ opinions.  Interestingly, a few days after reading this book, I found this in, of all places, a fortune cookie: “There is only one success – to be able to live your life in your own way.”  Maybe that’s what it’s about.

No comments:

Post a Comment